A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket - Rating 4 stars

I decided to finally give this series a try because I've heard rave reviews about the Netflix show.  I listened to the audiobook, which is more like a theater production, and really enjoyed it.  It has different voice actors for the different characters and special sound effects. You feel like you're at a play.  The story was told in a very fun way too - despite the fact that the narrator tells such a woeful story.  

We follow the Baudelaire orphans,  Violet, Klaus, and Sunny. After their parents die in a horrible fire and their home is destroyed, the orphans are made to live with their distant relative, Count Olaf. Things, naturally, go from bad to worse, as Olaf's true colours are revealed.  The book is true to its title and unfortunate things do happen - but the audience is warned about this early on by the narrator.  I will say that the book really made me want to keep reading the series.  I need to see what happens to these poor orphans!  
I highly recommend this book, the first in what promises to be an intriguing series. And if you can, listen to the audiobook because it is really fun.  

Comments

Popular Posts