Dracul by Dacre Stoker and J.D. Barker - Rating 4 Stars

This novel of horror and suspense was way out of my regular wheelhouse.  I read it as part of my book swap club, and ended up really liking it! A prequel to the infamous story Dracula by Bram Stoker, this novel is in part written by his heir, Dacre Stoker (and if that isn't a great name for a horror author, I don't know what is). Stoker and Barker worked together and used Bram's original notes to write this story, and you can really tell that they did their research.  Now, I've never actually read the original book (insert gasp here) but just based on what I know about the legend of Dracula, I feel that this story really fits well into the lore.  This book starts off when Bram Stoker is a child and he and his sister Matilda start investigating the odd behaviour of their Nanny Ellen Crone.  She has been with them for years, but they are starting to realize that there is more to Ellen than meets the eye.  The novel is written as journal entries and letters and switches POV between several characters - which really makes it interesting to read.  The novel also switches from the present to the past flawlessly - in the Now, Bram is locked in a room, being hunted by something - we aren't sure what. Through his journal, he goes back to his childhood and to past memories and brings the audience into his hellish world.  It's really very well done and keeps the audience on the edge of their seats.  I really recommend this book - and I might even have to go out to read the original now, just to find out what happens.

Comments

Popular Posts